The SVP, Accounting & Operations is a member of the leadership team and has overall responsibility for the accounting process, financial strategy and business operations of Martin Commercial Properties, Inc. (MCP) and its affiliates; Martin Commercial Properties West Michgian (MWM) and Martin Property Development (MPD), collectively referred to as MCP. Working as a collaborative leader, the role is responsible for managing and reporting on all fiscal and fiduciary affairs of the organization to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), budgeting and forecasting; and managing the day to day operations of the accounting team. Demonstrates ethical leadership in all functions. Understands business systems and processes, manages improvement projects benefitting internal and external users.
Key Responsibilities/Job Functions
- Member of the leadership team focused on the integration of all functions, i.e. accounting, operations, sales, property management, information technology, and human resources.
- Assists leadership team in updating the strategic plan. Implements or directs the implementation of programs that meet set goals and objectives.
- Identifies and drives process improvements to ensure best in class service while promoting employee efficiency and productivity.
- Oversees commerial insurance policies, working with the insurance broker to mitigate business risks.
- Leads by example to earn respect and trust of peers, employees, and clients.
- Provides appropriate feedback loop to CEO on relevant issues
- Handle daily cash management and reporting.
- Manage process for sales invoicing, including pricing strategies, collections, and commissions.
- Prepare MCP’s monthly financial statements, calendar year reports and year end statistics.
- Offer interpretation and analysis of financial results in conjunction annual budgeting.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with key financial partners and vendors.
- Track all Inter-Company activity and perform monthly reconcilaitons.
- Manage bi-weekly payroll processing for all entities. Handle all Year End reporting
- Manage Company Payables process, including check runs, ACHs and Credit Cards.
- Enhance and implement accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Supervise accounting staff on day to day operations that includes, but not limited to, monthly, quarterly and year-end close, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial reports, cash receipts and disbursement.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive job costing system for the property development business line.
- Serves as a Yardi SPOC/administrator and manages software issues encountered and support ticket requests.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place to comply with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial tax reporting, as well as other legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that Company is utilizing best in class technology in order to promote efficiency and customer service.
- Oversee all technology resources.
- Oversee internal support/ IT Help Desk system to ensure highest level of employee productivity.
- Oversight of recruitment, selection, and retention of high caliber team members to carry out MCP’s mission.
- Supervise the annual performance process, focusing on career development. Guide team in goal setting and strengthening competencies.
- Oversee Office Operations Manager providing guidance and direction as needed.
- Oversee the Company’s Health and Benefit Plans.
- Serve as Fiduciary for the Company’s 401k Plan
- Ability to operate with a high degree of flexibility, adaptable to changing demands.
- Timely, punctual, positive team player.
- Strong business sense and can decipher priorities and make sound judgement calls as appropriate for the role.
- Commitment to excellence – perform duties at the highest level possible on a consistent basis.
- Self-starter and can work well independently as well as with the team.
- Through software utilization and automation, ability to contribute to continued process improvement.
- Excellent communicator – able to interact with people at all levels in a confident and professional manner.
- Demonstrate ability and temperament to work with highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to quickly learn other company utilized systems, programs and software.
- Team player – have team-oriented experience and approach.
- Excited about the real estate industry.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. (Required)
- Public accounting experience and CPA Certification (Preferred)
- Minimum of seven to ten years of related experience and/or training.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles, financial terms, financial analysis.
- Those activities associated with general office work including but not limited to sitting, walking, standing, talking, or hearing, for long periods of time. Using hands to write, key, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Other activities include reaching, stooping, kneeling, crawling, crouching, pushing, pulling, and lifting.
NOTE: Job descriptions are intended to present an illustration of the range of duties, the scope of responsibility and the required level of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the primary functions of the job. Job descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed by those assigned to this classification as other duties may be assigned.
BenefitsHealth, Vision, Dental, 401K, PTO